Tuesday 10 June 2014

Fields and Res's (24th May)

Helped Dan out in his fields before deciding to walk back home via Argal and College Res. En route, I heard 3 Garden Warblers singing in the immediate area.  I'd only just left when I started walking down the public footpath through a cow field.  On seeing me, some of the cows got in a right frenzy and started charging towards me flailing their heads, kicking and running towards me!  It's safe to say I was a little intimidated but with not enough time to sprint to the closest gate I had no option but to dive into the Cornish hedgerow next to me!!  My brain told me it was safer not to go back in the field so I scrambled through the massive mixture of brambles, blackthorn, gorse and even a barbed wire fence only to stumble back into Dan's field (apologies for trespassing). The experience was nothing short of hilarious!! (see picture)

not easy climbing through this I can promise you!


Anyway, back to the birds:

Argal Reservoir:

50+ Swallows, half a dozen House Martins5+ Great Crested Grebes (one sitting on a nest perhaps brooding eggs), Willow WarblerChiffchaffs2 Mute Swans and 7+ Mallard.  Also accidentally flushed a Fox from the side of the path.

College Reservoir:

Herring Gulls (c.31 adults, 2 2nd summers, 3 1st summers), 1 Lesser Black-backed Gull (2nd sum), 2 Great Black-backed Gulls (both adults), Swallows3+ Grey Herons1 Great Crested Grebe sitting on a nest, 1 Willow Warbler, singing Chiffchaffs and wet socks.

Penryn River, Gorrangorras:

almost nothing, only 4 Linnets and 4 Mute Swans.
All in all rather dull but I did take plenty of flower pics to trawl through and ID for later!

No comments:

Post a Comment