Saturday 12 January 2013

Garden Birds (11th and 12th January)

Spent two whole days staring out the back window at garden birds, sketching and drawing annotated diagrams of wing patterning.  I couldn't be bothered to make the long bike rides to twitch some of the local birds and even if I was, there was always plenty of work that I could do to keep me from leaving the house.  The most numerous bird in the garden over the past two days have been Greenfinches, up to 14 at one point.  Other birds included occasional visits by a Nuthatch, Coal Tits, Goldcrests and a male Green Woodpecker in the neighbours garden.  A single brief view of a Red Kite circling over the house was probably the least common bird but my highlight was definitely having the time and will power to study the plumage detail of our commoner species.  As a result, I now have the precise plumage details of Greenfinch, Great Tit and Chaffinch imprinted on my mind, Hooray!  A week well spent in my opinion.  One mammal also seen in the past two days, this being my first Red Fox of the year, seen from my bedroom window in the early hours of the morning.

Back to some serious birding in a couple of days time as I'm travelling down to Cornwall on the 13th.  Can't wait to see the tristis Chiffchaffs at Stithians!

No comments:

Post a Comment