Wednesday 22 August 2012

Headon Warren and Compton Bay (20th August)

Our highlight of the trip as my brother an I both connected with one of our key birds we had been hoping to see.  The heathland at Headon Warren was much the same as on other trips with migrant Willow Warblers hiding and calling from the scrubs, Buzzards overhead and a single Raven.  However, the highlight was found by my brother, a DARTFORD WARBLER.  We caught a brief fleeting glimpses of it as it moved around within a gorse bush feeding and occasionally bursting into short song and occasional calls.  The best view I got was as it perched at the top of a gorse bush for no longer than two seconds, all the same still an absolute stunner.  I also located a Redstart but was even more reluctant to show itself.  Our second trip for the day was a walk around Compton Bay.  As well as admiring the coastal landforms (which I blabbered on about to my siblings for some time to, thanks to a coasts module in Geography at school) we also saw 5 Ravens, 5 Weatears and a Garden Warbler lurking in some scrub at the base of the cliff.

 Compton Bay, cliff slump

Garden Warbler

No comments:

Post a Comment