Tuesday 23 October 2012

Pendennis once again in the rain (21st October)

An early am start down at Pendennis to make the most of the last day of the weekend but the rewards were not very big at all.  I sat myself down on the Point after a failed walk around the woodland in search of Yellow-browed Warblers.  After some time of blankly staring out to sea, I noticed several dozen auk speeding past together in a tight group over a kilometer out.  However, it wasn't until 3 Guillemots Uria aalge flew close past to the headland that I finally realised the others must also have been Guillemots, a bonus bird and fresh on my Cornwall list!  The rain soon came down and the scene became rather depressing, only a few Mediterranean Gulls Larus melanocephalus brightened the mood.  A change of events however when I bumped into one of the local birders, John Sr Ledger, who kindly offered me shelter in his car as we stared out of the window attempting to ID anything that flew past.  A most unexpected source of entertainment soon flew in, Magpies Pica pica!  To be specific, colour ringed Magpies.  We spent much of the rest of the morning jumping in and out of the car, avoiding the heavier showers whilst attempting to photograph at least 3 colour ringed Magpies amongst a group of at least a dozen or so birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment