Sunday 28 October 2012

Local birding at another new patch (28th October)

I got up and left everyone still sleeping off their hangovers from last nights Halloween party and cycled the four miles down the road to Penarrow Point, a new local spot for me!  The birding started slowly, not very unusual, but as I was walking along the rocky shoreline  several Meadow Pipits Anthus pratensis and Rock Pipits Antus petrosus did their attempt to appear rare some Mipits even going to the extent of fooling me by hopping around inside the bushes like the accompanying Chiffchaffs Phylloscopus collybita some bizarre behaviour I haven't seen before!  Even the Robins Erithacus rubecula put me off for rarities  maybe it's just my brain trying desperately to string garden bird as megas!  A little further around the point and I finally found the first good birds for the day, 2 Firecrests Regulus ignicapillus working their way around the lower canopy at eye-level affording excellent views!  They performed well for some time before I decided to move on.  A brief shower followed by overcast skies brought in a few more good birds.  On my return along the beach, I found 5 Brent Geese Branta bernicla (4 adults, 1 1st-win.) paddling casually about near the shore, feeding occasionally on some sea-weed.  Apparently they're not very common in this area of Cornwall so I'm rather pleased to have them on my county list so soon!

 all 5 Brent Geese

one of the adults

A pewit call from the shoreline also announced my first 2 Lapwing Vanellus vanellus since my arrival in Cornwall (I haven't seen this bird since being in Herts so I was equally pleased to finally catch up on this greatly missed wader, just shows how much I took them for granted back home).  Anyway, other birds of note include 2 Mediterranean Gulls Larus melanocephalus, 1 Bar -tailed Godwit Limosa lapponica , 3 Siskin Carduelis spinus, a single Whimbrel Numenius phaeopus and a Grey Seal to top the day off.  In all, not a bad starting point for a local patch but I'm still desperate to set eyes on a self-found Yellow-browed Warbler which was true ambition for the day.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sam sounds like a nice local patch where abouts is Penarrow Point because on google maps it says its in the falkland islands?

    ReplyDelete