Tuesday 31 July 2012

Isle of Harty day 7 (26th July)

THE FERRY INN PIER

Another walk down to the pier at the Ferry Inn with Ephraim.  This time we counted a total of 7 Whimbrel, 5 Greenshanks, 1 Turnstone, 1 Marsh Harrier and 2 Hares in the usual field.  My brother was still very keen to see the local Turtle Doves so we walked back up the track towards Sayes Court where I had seen them only a few days previously.  Unfortunately, all we saw was a probable Turtle Dove flying away form us in the distance.  However, the flower meadows produced 1 Peacock, 1 Red Admiral and dozens of Common Darters.

The Ferry Inn Pier

Me with early morning uncombed hair

My brother Ephraim who joins me on most of my trips

ELMLEY MARSHES

My parents dropped my brother and I off at Elmely Marshes for 3 and a half hours whilst they went to Minster, just enough time for us look over some of the scrapes.  In total we had 8+ Green Sandpipers, 4 Marsh Harriers (including 2 juveniles with green wing tags), 5+ Yellow Wagtails, 6 Little Egrets, 14+ Whimbrel, 1 Hobby, 1 Common Sandpiper, 1 Corn Bunting, 1 Ringed Plover, several Black-tailed Godwits in front of South Fleet Hide and a single Snipe sitting out in the open on the edge of one of the pools.  Butterflies included 2 Peacocks, 1 Comma, 4 Red Admirals and 1 Small Tortoiseshell.

the two green wing-tagged juvenile Marsh Harriers

MOCKETTS COTTAGES

On our return back to the house at c.20:00, my brother and I were still able to locate the resident Turtle Dove in the fading light, a good ending to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment