Sunday 29 September 2013

Pendennis Seawatching (22nd September)

Seawatching in dire conditions...

As expected the fog and dead still conditions didn't amount to an eventful seawatch so I gave up quickly to check the coves and wooded areas around the point hoping the fog would clear up before I returned.  A Whimbrel at the point was the best I could do whilst 1 Chiffchaff and 2 Blackcaps near the castle were the highlights from a trawl around the headland.

The fog hadn't cleared up by the time I got back (in fact, it remained for an entire week throughout the day forming a permanent and ominous carpet over the town).

Back at the point, I met John St-Ledger who pointed out a Turnstone sat on the point as well as a flock of Linnets, 2 Grey Wagtails, 2 Rock Pipits and 2 Meadow Pipits.

Whilst John kindly diverted the attention of the tourists, I managed to crack on with some seawatching and was rewarded with a flock of 5 Balearic Shearwaters heading west through the bay.  A Grey Seal also swam past the headland and I found a Common Sandpiper in one of the isolated coves on the east side of the Point.

No comments:

Post a Comment