Wednesday 1 May 2013

Patching Improves (1st May)

After arriving back at the flat and updating my blog with the earlier Osprey sighting, I still had the urge to head back out into the field again and continue birding.  A wise decision as I returned back to Argal Reservoir with the hope of connecting with more Fal goodies.  I waited at the dam for some time scanning through the hirundines waiting for Dan.  After some time of scanning, I managed to pick out 3 Sand Martins (a welcome Cornwall tick).  Dan eventually arrived and we were having a nice chat about birds when we were interrupted by a raptor that came flying in.  Both our jaws dropped simultaneously as we realised it was a harrier!  It was quite evident from the start that it was a MARSH HARRIER (a rather good bird for Cornwall, let alone the Fal patch!).  We watched it drift past us gradually heading in a NE direction.  I made a dive for the camera just before it disappeared and managed to rattle of a couple record shots.  After a little consultation of the Collins, Dan and I were content to settle on 2nd summer male type as the closest match although any other opinions would be very welcome.

To round the evening off nicely I connected with my first SWIFT of the year flying north over the dam.

male Marsh Harrier (Dan and I believe it could be a 2nd summer male type) any ID opinions welcome


No comments:

Post a Comment