Saturday 25 May 2013

GO GREEN day! (24th May)

A bit of a dude event yesterday but it was still fun.  Together with Lawrence, I did another bird trip around Swanpool as part of the RSPB GO GREEN day.  It seems all the other uni students were too preoccupied with post-exam drinking which meant it was only us to doing the birding!  Nevertheless, an enjoyable day down on the local patch.  Swanpool still hosted the Great Crested Grebe, 2 Little Grebes and my first Cornish House Martins of the year.

I decided to take the coastal footpath towards Maenporth, a stretch I don't often do where I bumped into the usual array of coastal species including a pair of Stonechats fiercely "chacking" away at me (perhaps defending a nest) and I had a brief view of a Grey Seal in the bay at Maenporth.

Grey Heron at Maenporth, sat rather unusually on its back end!

Back at Pennance Point, I did another hour or so sea-watching to compare against yesterdays passage of Manxies.  Today only produced a handful of Manx Shearwaters, about 6 lingering around a fishing boat that was heading back to the harbour and the odd two or three shearing westrards.  The usual 6 Sandwich Terns also flew past the point (I expect they are the same individuals that have been remaining in the area over the past couple days/weeks).

No comments:

Post a Comment