Tuesday 16 April 2013

Tyttenhanger Revisited (16th April)

Yet another visit to Tyttenhanger.  Off course there was barely a chance in the world of relocating the Hoopoe but I promised myself to pay it another proper visit before I go back to Falmouth.  I arrived shortly before midday and took a long walk around the gravel pits, Willows Farm, Garden Wood and even made it to Colney Heath.  2 Oysetercatchers and my first COMMON SANDPIPER of the year were at the fishing pits whilst the main gravel pit produced another year tick, 3 WHITETHROATS.  The Tree Sparrow hedge was empty so I made my way on to Willows Farm were several Red-legged Partridges were running around the farmland.  The highlight however was a grey/brown partridge that flew across the path and landed in the neighboring arable field.  Despite only pocking its head out it was clearly a GREY PARTRIDGE, a very welcome year tick as well as a Herts one too!

 Grey Partridge at Willows Farm

 Wheatear at Tyttenhanger Farm (showing some characteristics that might belong to Greenland Wheatear.  The buff/orange chest was quite distinguishable) - opinions welcome


Common Sandpiper at the main fishing pit

Other species of note included the usual Red Kites, Buzzards and another male Wheatear near Warren Farm (a big decrease from yesterdays double figures).  The bright sunshine also encouraged a lot more butterflies out including many more Peacocks, Small Tortoiseshells and my first Red Admiral of the year.  Yesterdays Muntjac was also still in the same field.

No comments:

Post a Comment