Wednesday 3 April 2013

Staines (3rd April)

My brother and I took the offer up from my sister who kindly brought us via Staines Reservoir on her way to Osterley Park.  I was hoping to connect with the recent Red-throated Diver but chances of this happening were rather slim due to the fact it had moved to King George VI Reservoir and would be out of sight.  Compensation in the form of a rather distant female Long-tailed Duck on the south basin and a nice summer plumage Black-necked Grebe (equally distant).  Other than that, it was fairly quiet but our first LITTLE RINGED PLOVER of the year was a welcome sight.  I also saw my first 2 Stock Doves in months, 3 Redshanks on the periphery of the reservoir and a single Shelduck.  By late afternoon we decided to walk up and down the road between the two reservoirs hoping to connect with some early migrants.  No summer migrants yet unfortunately, but a rather surprise attack from 2 Carrion Crows as they pounced on a flock of unsuspecting Fieldfare and Starlings hoping for a kill.  Unsurprisingly, they were unsuccessful.

Long-tailed Duck on the S basin

 sum. plum. Black-necked Grebe on the S basin

Back on the causeway, I picked up on a flock of 4 wader species in flight.  Unfortunately, I only managed a short view through my bins so wasn't able to get a conclusive ID but given their plain grey appearance, white tail and rump and occasional flashes of black from their armpits, my best bet would be probable Grey Plover.

Also about were 2 Red Foxes resting on the edge of the reservoir a single Chiffchaff on the causeway and plenty of Goldeneyes on the open water.

Red Fox on the N basin

N basin at Staines Reservoir

No comments:

Post a Comment