Tuesday 12 February 2013

Gylly to Swanpool (12th February)


I had an hour before the beach profile practical started for my geography module so I spent the time wandering between Gylly and Swanpool with the hope of finding and photographing littoralis Rock Pipits and Med Gulls at Swanpool.  Rather surprised, I came across this rather obvious littoralis (Scandinavian) Rock Pipit as soon as I set foot on the beach and was rather glad to get decent views of it.  Although the light was still rather dim as it was still dawn, I managed to rattle off a couple of pics when suddenly I realised I had also disturbed a stunning male Black Redstart.  Another Rock Pipit was also among them but it was a little less photogenic but seemed to be a regular petrosus.

 littoralis Rock Pipit



male Black Redstart


The walk between Gylly and Swanpool produced 2 Ringed Plovers roosting on the rocks below the cliff ledge at high tide, 1 Oystercatcher and a little more unusual was a Turnstone (glad to have that on my local patch Falmouth list for the competition) whilst I was glad to see the cliffs between Swanpool and Pennance Point still hosted c.10 Fulmar.

Ringed Plover

Swanpool had its single reward too with this fine adult winter Mediterranean Gull which I attempted at photographing as it swooped past.  Still not quite the result I was hoping for so will have to try a little harder next time.

 Mediterranean Gull

1 comment:

  1. Samuel, very early start for you today by the sound of it. Some nice birds showed up for you.
    Love Mum

    ReplyDelete