Thursday 7 February 2013

College Res (6th February)

My first visit to College Reservoir in a long time and the first since the New Year albeit only a brief one at dusk to try and check out the roosting gulls.  The glare of the water made it impossible to view length-ways down the reservoir so I have no idea if the Bittern was still there.  Instead, I made my way round to the western side.  2 female Goldeneye were among the Wigeon, Tufted Ducks and Teal.  Also 4 Little Grebes and 7 Snipe.  It took some time for the gulls to arrive and even then numbers were rather feeble.  They seemed only to be using the reservoir to have a short bathe before moving off quickly.  Only Herring Gulls to report unfortunately, the only other two species including 1 Great Black-backed Gull and a few Black-headed Gulls.  I waited till dusk for the Jackdaws to arrive but they seemed equally skittish and refused to fly in to the island, instead staying in the northern corner (although I expect they flew to roost in the usual place perhaps after I left).  Next time I'll try Argal for the gull roost.

No comments:

Post a Comment