Sunday 25 November 2012

Dipped a Dusky and brows still not wearing off (24th November)

I was originally planning on going for the Subalpine Warbler in St Just but when news finally got to me in the evening of a Dusky at Swanvale, only a few miles down the road, the careful planing for the trip to St Just went out the window.  Early morning arrived and I found myself standing in the pouring rain at Swanvale, the only pair of eyes about looking for the bird.  I hung around for a few hours getting miserably wet not seeing much other than the occasional Chiffchaff Phylloscopus collybita trying to fool me.  The horrible weather (which continued throughout the day) was briefly lightened when a Firecrest Regulus ignicapilla came flitting through the vegetation   Next, I decided to wander up towards Pennance Point to take a break from staring at blank bushes.  I was stood at the entrance to Swanvale and only seconds after I had found my third YELLOW-BROWED WARBLER Phylloscopus inornatus in the past 9 days an old woman came up to me trying to lecture me on her bird feeders and Robins!  As much as I like chatting to novices, they always seem to turn up when your most engrossed in looking at something and haven't got the time to either answer questions on what peanuts one should put in feeders or how many Buzzards they've seen flying over their house, just a little fact I've picked up along the way.  All the same I still did get decent views of the bird as it flashed its brightly edged tertials and brilliant super.  Down at Pennace, I picked up on 2 Great Northern Divers Gavia immer as well as the odd Guillemot Uria aalge amongst them.


 both of the Great Northern Divers

A Kittiwake Rissa tridactyla also went past the point and a Mediterranean Gull Larus Melanocephalus was at Swanpool.  On my return to Swanvale to continue the search, three more uni birders joined in the search (at last a a little moral support).  Still no luck and after a few more hours I once again found myself alone staring blankly at more Chiffchaffs Phylloscopus collybita and Goldcrests Regulus regulus.  The Yellow-browed Warbler Phylloscopus inornatus came through briefly but wasn't quite compensation for my first Cornish rarity dip.  Here's hopping it gets refound and hangs around long enough for me to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment