Wednesday 20 March 2013

Falmouth Patch (20th March)

A couple good birds around the Fal patch today but first up a smooch around the walled garden on Tremough Campus.  Haven't been here since January for the Big Garden Birdwatch and was partly hoping to relocate the Bramblings that were there when we did the count but chances I'd relocate them and the likelyhood they had moved off didn't convince me I'd refind them.  None the less, after half an hours wait standing near the feeders a female Brambling briefly appeared in the trees near the back of the garden but was gone before I could even get my camera out.  As a result, I had to wait a further half hour before she returned, this time a little closer for a quick record shot.  Also in the garden were a pair of Bullfinches, 1 Nuthatch and a Great Spotted Woodpecker.  Spent a couple minutes searching for the reported Black Spleenwort and Maidenhair Fern but was only half lucky in finding Maidenhair Fern.

female Brambling


Maidenhair Fern

Next visit was down to Swanpool, were I arrived about an hour later.  I was rather pleased to find some Black Spleenwort between the bus station and Swanpool (ok compensation for dipping on the campus Wall Rue).  Swanpool was typically quiet but once again, I was more focused on getting good photos of the commoner species for my field notebook.

Swanpool

Black Spleenwort


Some proper birding did ensue shortly afterwards and the first good birds of the day were 2 Slavonian Grebes further round the bay opposite Gylly.  One individual approaching summer and the other in winter plumage.  Also met up with Greg here too and we made our way round towards Pendennis Point.  Still not much offshore but a couple Oystercatchers, 1 Turnstone and a Purple Sandpiper at the point weren't too bad (the later still in winter plumage).  Nothing visible in the Carrick Roads unfortunately before making my own way back around the east side of the Peninsula.  Here, I refound Dan's Whimbrel from this morning and 8 Red-breasted Mergansers (including 3 males) out in the Roads on the far side.  I also finally connected with my first 3 SANDWICH TERNS of the year (all in sum. plum.) as they circled, dived and called around Middle Point.  My final stop for the day were the gulls on the dock but nothing except Herring Gulls, Lesser Black-backed Gulls and Great Black-backed Gulls and a winter plum. Guillemot in the harbour.

Purple Sandpiper

Whimbrel

1 comment:

  1. Quite a lot you have seen in the past days. I have been wondering whether you managed to remove the rusty fishing hooks.
    See you soon.
    L M

    ReplyDelete