Saturday 18 June 2011

Local Walk around KL and Hemel Area

I started out at around 6:40 this morning and headed first of all into the KL Common Woods were I heard both Green Woodpeckers and Great Spotted Woodpeckers near the center of the wood.  I also came across occasional Song Thrushes and singing Goldcrests and Blackcaps (all males).  On the edge of the cricket pitch near the cross roads I also saw 1 Grey Wagtail.  Next I took the path to the right behind the RSSKL were I encountered 2 Greenfinches (very little in comparison to Thursday when I saw 1 Swallow and a small flock of House Martins).  I then went behind the KLS School along Barnes Lane.  Here I saw occasional flocks of Starling, singing Whitethroats, the road after the underpass by the A41 had several singing Yellowhammers and 5 singing Skylarks.  I then headed towards Phasels Wood Scout Camp were I saw 2 Red Kites and 1 Buzzard.  I continued to walk towards the south end of Hemel were I took a round turn back towards Shendish Manor Golf Course were I heard Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Blackcap and Whitethroats singing.  The wild meadows were excellent habitats for the first active flying butterflies of the day including Meadow Brown and Small Skipper.  The Horse fields behind Shendish also had large numbers of Birdsfoot Trefoil and wild clovers (another staple diet for butterflies).

No comments:

Post a Comment