Sunday 13 October 2013

Patching (12th October)

Another morning patch visit since it was the weekend.  I saw a total of 109 Redwing to start the day, my first of the autumn.  Also of note were 3 Ringed Plover and 1 Whimbrel.  I met up with Dan at the point and together headed down to check Gorrangorras briefly for the waders.  5 Greenshank, 1 Whimbrel, 8 Turnstone and a Snipe were the best we managed before I continued by myself to the cemetery.  Not much about but it was my first proper visit to the site and the lack of disturbance and scattered trees and shrubs do look promising for flocks of winter thrushes.  No doubt I will be back there soon.

With little else to do I went back to seawatchng, this time from Pennance Point.  I continued adding to the auk totals, finishing at 75 birds W and 1 E at around 15:45.  2 Common Scoter and 1 Mediterranean Gull also flew past and I encountered my first Swanvale Water Rail of the autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment